Lexia® Core5® Reading is a fun, computer-based program that has helped millions of Pre-K-5 students improve their literacy skills. The activities in Core5 support and build on classroom curriculum, and focus on developing reading skills in six areas: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
How does Core5 work?
- Students take a brief placement activity and begin the online program at a starting point that is right for them.
- Teachers have access to student progress and performance reports, so that they can provide assistance when needed.
- In addition to the online program, students use paper-and-pencil and hands-on activities for practicing and extending skills.
- Students earn achievement certificates when they complete levels. These certificates are a great opportunity to celebrate success and talk about newly-gained skills!
What skills does Core5 teach my child?
Core5 provides a structured and systemic approach to six critical areas of reading:
- Phonological Awareness – recognizing sounds in words
- Phonics – understanding the connection between sounds and letters
- Structural Analysis – recognizing meaningful parts in words
- Fluency – reading smoothly and with expression
- Vocabulary – understanding word meanings and relationships
- Comprehension – understanding spoken and written language